Monday, August 11, 2008

Curried Egg Salad

I love eggs. I love that I can make eggs savory or sweet, can have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert, and I can make a meal with eggs for a fraction of the cost of a meal with meat. Yesterday night, I came home rather late and needed something to eat that wasn't too heavy, but I also wanted something that would give me enough leftovers for a lunch or two during the week. I had about a dozen eggs, some salad onions and plain yogurt in my fridge I ended up with a really nice, lighter version of one of my favourites.

Curried Egg Salad
6 Eggs Hardboiled
3 salad onions
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 large spoonfuls of plain yogurt
chopped coriander to season
a handful of dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, cherries, chopped apricots, etc)
juice of 1/2 a lime

Hardboil the eggs (a trick here...hardboil the eggs for about 12 minutes, then stick them in ice water. The shells will come off much easier), chop the salad onions and combine them with the hardboiled eggs in a bowl.

In a frying pan warm the oil and curry power. Stir until the oil takes on the colour of the curry. Pour the oil over the eggs and salad onion. Run a knife through the whole thing until the eggs are bite sized and are mixed well with the onions and curry.

Mix a spoonful of yogurt at a time with the egg mixture until you get the desired texture. Add chopped coriander, juice of half a lime and dried fruit.

Serve as part of a sandwich or over salad greens.

This recipe serves 3 and will keep for approximately 5 days

Cooking time 14 minutes
Prep time 5 minutes

No comments: