Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Baked Eggs with Vegetables

Last night I came home late and wanted something nutritious but also easy. As is usual on a stressful day, I hadn't had many vegetables during the day, so I wanted to put as many different types of vegetables as possible into my meal. As I've said before, eggs are usually my fall back when the fridge is empty, but last night I wanted eggs with a bit more flavor. I used ramekins to make 2 individual servings but this could easily be doubled to serve 4. This dish was awesome straight from the oven and I had the second serving cold for lunch today--it was just as tasty cold as it was hot.

Baked Eggs with Vegetables
olive oil to coat the ramekins
1 large tomato or 4 cherry tomatoes
Herbs: 1 sprig of rosemary, 1 sprig of thyme and 5 sage leaves OR 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
1 salad onion
1 handful of rocket/arugula
a handful of French Beans or the insides of overripe runner beans
3 eggs
1/2 cup of shredded mature cheddar

Coat the ramekins with olive oil and set aside

Roughly chop the vegetable, mince the herbs and mix them everything in a bowl, crack the eggs into the bowl. Mix in 3/4 of the cheese. Pour the mixture equally into the ramekins. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese

Cook at 200 degree C (450 F) until the top is brown and the egg has puffed up

This can be eaten hot or cold

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

No comments: