Monday, July 21, 2008

Chickpea, Courgette and Dill Salad

Yesterday I went to one of my favourite, cheap markets in Ealing and saw a really nice bunch of dill. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I bought it anyway in the hopes that inspiration would strike. Try as I may, last night I just couldn't think of anything to do with it. So in the refrigerator sat my beautiful bunch of dill. Today I was determined to make something with the dill. Since it's finally warm and sunny today, I thought I'd seize the chance to make a summer dish.

Chickpea, Courgette and Dill Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek cut into 1/4 inch slices (use up until the leaves begin)
1 can of chickpeas in water
1 courgette cut into 1/8 inch thick semi circles
1 cup of dill, roughly chopped
1 lemon
1 cup of plain or Greek style yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a pan on high heat. Cut all but 2 of the slices of leek in half so they are semicircular. Add the leek semi circles to the olive oil and fry for 2 minutes. While the leeks are frying, rinse the can of chickpeas under cold water. Add the chickpeas to the fry pan and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the courgette to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add half of the chopped dill and the juice of half a lemon to the pan. Allow to cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes.

In a blender or food processor combine the 2 remaining pieces of leek, the yogurt, the remaining dill and the juice of the other half of the lemon. Pulse quickly until everything is mixed.

Remove the chickpea mixture from the heat and stir in the yogurt mixture to your taste.

If there is remaining yogurt mixture it can be used as a salad dressing or a vegetable dip.

This recipe can be served hot or cold.

No comments: